LCII online course

LCII online course

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Can you explain to me what the difference is in taking the online course vs. just using the DVD, book, etc.?  I see that the DVD is required for LCII which is the course I am looking at for my son.  He is currently completing LCI with the DVD.  If he enrolls in the online course, what will the benefits be?  Will he still watch the DVD and do the workbook exercises?

Thank you for the help!

Carolyn

In reply to Deleted user

Re: LCII online course

by Connor Long -
Hi Carolyn,

I hope you don't mind me answering your question. I am not a Memoria employee; I am the mother of an 11-year-old son who is currently enrolled in LCI with Memoria Press. I'd like to share my experience with you.

Yes, when the children are enrolled in the online course, they still watch the DVD and do the LCI workbook. They also have to complete Ludere Latine (crosswords and word searches) and the Book of Roots.

The online class then includes a weekly "classroom." The teacher provides some additional instruction, but most of the class time is spent playing games that reinforce the weekly lesson. In some of the games speed matters, so these exercises have also improved my son's keyboarding skills.

The class/chat room is my son's favorite hour of the week. He would love to attend all three of the available chat times. While he would have learned Latin without the class, the class time reinforcement is invaluable.

I was particularly impressed with the way Memoria handled a concern I raised early in the semester. Mr. Cothran was able to take my perspective (seeming lack of control in the classroom), identify the root cause (too many children in the chat), and solve the problem. Memoria quickly added additional chat times. How an institution handles conflict and controversy is the best indicator of the soul of that institution. I have been mightily impressed.

The instructors are quite knowledgeable and have a good handle on virtual teaching (except when there are simply too many students). I like that the classes are offered on a per-semester basis. If a class doesn't work out for us, we aren't committed for a year. The chat times are offered at various times throughout the week, so my son can choose whichever class is most convenient for us that week (although he prefers to attend the same one whenever possible).

We reaped additional benefits. The coursework is structured: DVD on Monday, Book of Roots on Tuesday, etc. My son has embraced this routine. He is highly motivated to complete his bookwork before class chat on Thursday. However, this structure hasn't interfered with the homeschooling flexibility that I love so much. Furthermore, the course is academically rigorous; my son has found the work to be challenging, but not impossible. He has learned so much. Finally, it has been helpful, for me, to have someone else share in the challenging of my son.

In short, I highly recommend these online courses. I am absolutely convicted my son would not be identifying the Latin roots of words throughout the day (almost to the point of being annoying...) without the online portion of this course. We will be enrolling in LCII and our fall schedule will revolve around the chat times. We also plan to enroll in other Memoria classes in the future.

Sincere Regards,
Debbie Long

In reply to Connor Long

by Deleted user -

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for your response.  I also have to apologize for posting where I feel was probably the wrong area of the website.  Being new, I wasn't quite sure where to go!  Your information was very helpful.  Especially because I also had a concern regarding control of the chat sessions.  I'm glad to know that Memoria handled that situation.

I appreciate the time you took to type such a thorough response.  I'm sure it was not only helpful to me but to others thinking about enrolling!

Sincerely,

Carolyn

In reply to Deleted user

by Mr Cothran -

Carolyn,

I'd answer the question too, but Debbie answered it better than I could have.  If you have other or more specific questions, let us know, and Debbie..., er, rather we will do our best to answer them!