New Spring 2009 Course: Ancient & Medieval Christian History and Thought

New Spring 2009 Course: Ancient & Medieval Christian History and Thought

by Mr. Schaeffer -
Number of replies: 0

Hello Everyone!

My name is Mr. Piland, and some of you have perhaps had me for a logic course at Memoria Press Online Classical Academy.  Others of you have perhaps not taken logic, but have taken a Latin course through our burgeoning online academy.   

I've been teaching logic at the Memoria Press Online Classical Academy since the Spring 2007 semester, and I am happy to announce that I will be offering a new course for the Spring 2009 semester.  This course is entitled, Ancient and Medieval Christian Thought and History.

Have you ever wondered how the early Christian church rallied from a small, Jewish-affiliated, persecuted sect, to become the most powerful force in the Roman Empire?  Have you ever pondered the intense moral, political, and theological struggles involved with the Christological controversies of the 4th century, and do you know who the main historical players were?  Who was Athanasius and why was he exiled 5 times by the Emperor?  How did the young Manichee Augustine finally come to a firm trust in the purposes of God in Jesus Christ?  How did the early and high medieval church view the Bible, the authority of the bishop, faith and reason, and the sacraments?  Why did an Augustinian monk named Luther start what Protestants call "The Reformation" and what Roman Catholics call one of the greatest schisms and heresies the Church has ever known?  

All of these questions and more will be asked and covered in this course.  Taking a "Mere Christianity" approach, this course will take the student through four IVP mini-histories, primary source readings, The Confessions of Saint Augustine, and a biography of Aquinas called The Dumb Ox by G.K. Chesterton.  The main focus of this course is from the time of Augustine on, but will begin with preliminary primary source readings from the Early Church Fathers.

Due to the specialty nature of this course, and the work involved with course development, the sign-up deadline is December 15, 2008.  The Spring 2009 semester starts January 26, 2008 and I will need the extra month to make sure everything is thoroughly proofed and prepared.  Also, this class will be audio/visual in nature.     

I am absolutely ecstatic about the possibility of teaching this course, and the opportunity to acta sanctorum cogitata with my students.  To read more about the chat time, book list, and age recommendations for this course, Click Here.   

Blessings,
Mr. Piland